“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace….
…He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, He has put eternity into man’s heart…”
-Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, 11 [ESV] Continue reading
And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” And he took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, he said to them, Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.”
-Mark 9:35-37 Continue reading
“…so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.”
-Ephesians 3:17-19 [ESV]
God said to Moses, “I am who I am.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, “I am has sent me to you.”
-Exodus 3:14 [ESV]
From “Wickenburg’s Got Talent” 2013 featuring a celtic traditional song, “Farwell To Peter”, rebooted. It was performed by Deanna Slagle on electric violin, Eric Alan Smith on fretless electric bass, and Mike Shelton on acoustic / electric guitar. The Conspicuous Trio is also a part of the praise band at First Southern Baptist Church of Wickenburg and Deanna is a student of mine from theTRIBE Student Ministries… http://fsbcw.com
“For with You is the fountain of life;
in Your light do we see light.”
-Psalm 36:9 [ESV]
By His Grace. Through His Gospel. For His Glory.
So teach us to number our days
that we may get a heart of wisdom.
This is a truly powerful request from the servant of God…and for the servants of God today…
- Life is temporary…on earth. No one lives forever…on earth. But we were created for eternal purposes.
- We were created…and as the created we have a Creator. Because He is Creator…He is the authority on life, namely our life. The servant cries for learning from His Creator. It is a cry to be taught, and to be taught anything we must submit to the instruction given to us. There is no greater instruction than the Word of God and no greater professor of truth, wisdom, and knowledge than God Himself.
- We need to number our days… if we were given a precise countdown on how many days were were to live, we would want to make them count. Pray that God would help each day that He has numbered for us, to count for good in His kingdom work. Let us submit to His work in our lives.
- So that we may gain…a heart of wisdom. No one likes to submit to anything unless they know for certain that they will “gain” something in return. While I cannot and would dare not tell you “everything” that God, our Creator, has for you or me… I can tell you that He is the giver of blessings to those that trust and obey. I also know that those who trust and obey God are the most humble of servants and those that will be held in high esteem in His never-ending Kingdom.
By His Grace. Through His Gospel. For His Glory.
“But I am like a green olive tree
in the house of God.
I trust in the steadfast love of God
forever and ever.”
-Psalm 52:8 [ESV]
I was planted by God to…
- Be Growing = Life cannot continue without growth. My life with God is a walk of faith, growing in the knowledge of the Giver of Life, Jesus Christ.
- Be Producing = A good olive tree will produce good olives. This does not happen overnight for it takes years for olives to grow from an olive tree. It will take care, provision, and cultivation. God provides Himself for this provision. My response is to produce the good fruit that I was called to produce.
- Be Rooted = To maintain life and to continue producing, I must be firmly rooted. This root is trust in God Himself and His holy steadfast love.
- Be Healthy = The scripture states that the olive tree is green. This is the perception of health and vitality. It is a display that the tree is receiving that which it needs for health and producing the evidence of this reception. A healthy disciple is truly similar because they will display outwardly the inward “goodness of God” that He has provided by grace.
A healthy disciple is one who “increasingly reflects the character of God as God’s Character is revealed through God’s Word.” -Mark Dever
A healthy church is an orchard of healthy disciples…