I admit it…sometimes I’m an idiot.
Scratch that…sometimes I do really idiotic things. I really believe that when God created us, He saw that which was very good. Just like someone is not “born this way,” I wasn’t a born idiot. But I admit, that there are times I can choosing to be idiotic.
When I look at the words of Jesus in the Scripture it makes my realize that I make idiotic choices more frequently than I would like to admit. This particularly happens when I read Matthew 7:24-27 which says this…
”Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell, and great was the fall of it.”
Wow! That smarts!
Here’s why I can admit that I make idiotic choices & why I need Jesus so desperately.
- To be wise means to know the words of God and to act on them as prescribed.
- To be unwise means to know the words of God and not act on them.
- I like to think that I do the first and am wise.
- In honesty I do unwise things which is the equivalent of foolish.
- I need to be reminded daily of God’s word so that I can have my view corrected (2 Timothy 3:16)
- I need to be reminded daily in my prayers of what I need to live by God’s plans. (Example of this type of prayer Matthew 6:9-13)
- I need to be reminded daily in accountability with other believers, thus one great gift from the church…encouragement (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- I need to be reminded my call is to live in love for God and for people (Matthew 22:36-40)
- I need to be reminded my call is to share the same love and forgiveness that I have received from Christ. (Ephesians 2:8-10 / Matthew 28:18-20)